All living things, including human beings, depend on water more than any other substance to stay healthy and needs to drink more water daily. In fact, a human body can last 7 – 8 weeks or more without food but only 8 – 14 days without drinking water. Water accounts for about 60 % of your weight, 50% for women, and most nutrients move through the body in water. Water makes up about 85% of our brain, 80% of our blood, and close to 70% of our lean muscle. On average, though, men need roughly 104 ounces, or 3 liters, per day; women need 72 ounces, or about 2.2 liters, per day.
Reason for drinking more water daily
- Essential of proper circulation of nutrients in your body
- Prevent Cancer risk of colon cancer-45%, bladder cancer-50%, and breast cancer
- Helps the skin to regulate the body’s temperature through sweating
- Prevent or lessen nasty headaches
- Flush out waste and bacteria in the form of urine and sweat
- Reduce pain in your joints by keeping the cartilage soft and hydrated
- Serve as an appetite suppressant and help with weight loss
- Reduce weakness, fatigue, dizziness, and electrolyte imbalance
- Affects your mood and help in think clearer and happier
Factors that influence water needs
- If you exercise or engage in any activity that makes you sweat
- Intense exercise lasting more than an hour (for example, running a marathon)
- Hot or humid weather can make you sweat and requires additional intake of fluid
- Heated indoor air also can cause your skin to lose moisture during wintertime.
- Altitudes greater than 8,200 feet may trigger increased urination and rapid breathing
- When you have fever, vomiting or diarrhea, your body loses additional fluid
Ways to drinking more water daily
1. Always carry water bottle
No matter where you go, a handy water bottle in your bag is a must. By doing so, every time you feel thirsty, you can immediately drink some water from the bottle rather than keeping yourself thirsty for long
2. Set a reminder alarm
If you belong to the kind of people who need to be reminded to drink water, then set an alarm that would beep after every hour and remind you to drink water.
3. Sticky Notes to remind yourself
Writing and sticking witty and alarming one-liners to remind you about drinking water can be another effective way. Stick these notes at the places you tend to spend the most amount of time. It could be your desk, living room or any other space in the house.
4. Good-looking water bottle with easy accessibility
When a bottle of water is kept right in front of your eyes, it is more convenient for an otherwise lazy person to pick it up and drink from it. Be it your office desk or your bed; make it a habit to have an attractive bottle right in front of you.
5. Adding interesting flavors to your water
If plain water is not you are very fond of, add interesting flavors to it to make it easier to consume the required quantity of liquid for your body. Adding lemon, rose or any other refreshing syrup to your water can help you achieve your target.
6. Drinking Soups and Juices
Changes or additions made to one’s diet can also help in increasing the water intake. Drinking your choicest fresh fruit juices and soups in the day can also ensure water intake for your body.
7. Eating raw Fruits and Vegetables
A number of fruits and vegetables contain a good amount of water. Tomatoes are nothing but 97% water and oranges are composed of 87% water. Similarly avocados, strawberries sweet limes amongst many others are rich in water and you must eat them to consume sufficient amount of water on a daily basis.