Fast internet speed always makes your web browsing experience satisfied. But most of the times you may not get the required internet speed that may make you frustrated. Let us explore the ways to improve internet speed.
1. Prerequisite: Determine current Internet Speed
2. Modem and Router cable should be solid and clean connections
Always avoid dusty, dirty and loose cables from your cable or DSL modem to your wireless router or directly to your computer can leads to reduction or drop in internet speed. And use shot cable in between your ISP line and the modem.
3. Switch-off cordless phone connection
In most cases 2.4 GHz wifi channel and another 2.4 GHz cordless phone may work together that will create poor wifi signal or slow internet speeds.
4. Flush DNS and Internet cache
Regularly, clear your browser’s cache, flush your DNS cache and clear your browser’s history too. This will give a slight improve to your internet speed.
Flush your DNS cache:
Open command prompt and give the following command:
Clear web browser’s cache and browsing history:
Google Chrome: Open Tools > Clear Browsing History
Mozilla Firefox: Open Tools > Clear Recent History
Internet Explorer: Open Tools > Delete Recent History
5. Uninstall any unnecessary programs
Remove any programs which you do not use regularly using the Add or Remove Programs feature of your Control Panel (in PC). Always install the minimum amount of application that you actually use.
6. Use faster web browser
Use faster web browser which provide better web browsing experience, such as – Google or Firefox or Opera. Google Chrome is considered to be the fastest web browser today.
7. Method to get full internet bandwidth (Windows OS)
In Windows OS, 20% of internet bandwidth is reserved for windows updates and internal system. You can disable this setting without any extra software installation by following below mentioned steps:
- Click on Start button and type msc and press enter
- Double click the Computer Configuration
- Double click the Administrative Templates
- Double click Network
- Double click QoS Packet Scheduler
- Double click Limit reversible bandwidth
- First click on Enable. Then change Bandwidth Limit (%) to 0 (zero). And click on OK.
8. Use Google Public DNS or OpenDNS
Use DNS servers that are available free of cost to public, OpenDNS and Google Public DNS. Both of them help you in improve your internet speed.
In Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)‘properties, Select Use the following DNS server addresses and enter the following 2 addresses:
- For Google Public DNS:
Preferred DNS Server: 22.214.171.124
Alternate DNS Server: 126.96.36.199
- For Open DNS:
Preferred DNS Server: 188.8.131.52
Alternate DNS Server: 184.108.40.206
9. Upgrade Internet Access Data Plan
Contact your Internet service provider and mention that you are interested in upgrading your service.